Coffee Ice Cream (Caffeine, Dairy, Sugar-Free & Vegan!)

Today’s a special day. An emotional, happy day. I registered my daughter for kindergarten–oh my! Where does the time go?!

It also is the day my life changed forever…the day I met my husband on an airplane. Little did I know that when I sat down on that plane traveling from Chicago to Burlington, Vermont years ago that my future husband was sitting across the aisle from me. Of all the places one can be assigned to sit on a flight, we were assigned next to each other. It was fate. And who talks to strangers on airplanes these days?! Not a lot of people!

So today I am celebrating the blessings in my life and the amazing moment when my husband first conversed with me and later asked for my phone number. I don’t think either of us imagined where our lives would take us from that point forward…

I whipped up this tasty treat earlier today that I have already enjoyed an hour ago and plan to enjoy again tonight after dinner :) I love coffee. The smell of it makes me want to hangout at coffee shops for hours. I used to live in Boulder, Colorado and would sit on Pearl Street Mall reading books in my favorite coffee shop for hours. I can’t do that these days as I am always chasing after my children, but I still enjoy taking them to local coffee shops for tea or smoothies when the mood strikes. This ice cream is free of coffee as I wanted my kids to be able to enjoy it with me. To add a caffeine kick to it, you can add 1 Tbsp. ground coffee to the mix if desired.

Add to Vitamix or Blender:

2 cans coconut milk

1 cup coconut nectar (or coconut sugar/sweetener of choice)

1 Tbsp. coffee flavor (or 1 Tbsp. ground coffee)

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Blend all ingredients together on high. Place container in freezer for 45-60 minutes. Pour into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s directions, approximately 30 minutes. Scoop into bowls and enjoy!

Makes 6 servings.

This is linked to Kids in the KitchenIce Cream Love Blog HopMelt in Your Mouth MondaySugar Free SundayReal Food WednesdayGluten-Free WednesdaysFrugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Whole Food WednesdaysAllergy-Free WednesdaysTotally Tasty Tuesdays, Hearth and Soul HopTraditional TuesdaysSlightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat TuesdayBetter Mom MondaysMonday ManiaMake Your Own MondayShow it OffInspire Me Monday, Mix it up MondayPotluck PartyAllergy Friendly FridayAnything Goes LinkyLunchbox LoveFit and Fabulous FridaysFresh Bites Friday, Freaky FridayFight Back FridayWellness WeekendPennywise PlatterSimple Lives ThursdayThriving on ThursdaysCreative ThursdayFull Plate Thursday and Tastetastic Thursday.

Print Friendly

Comments

1. GFSCDandVeggie says:

Now if I could find a brand of coconut milk without the gums I would be making this right now! Sounds wonderful Laura!

2. crazyforcrust says:

Yum! This looks super yummy. And, oh, Kindergarten! That was a super fun year!

3. Wow, this looks yummy–coffee taste without the caffeine! Good one, Laura!

4. thetastyalternative says:

HI Laura,

This is my absolute favorite flavor of ice cream!  I don’t drink coffee, but I love the flavor.

I also like the use of coconut nectar.  It’s one of my rotation sweeteners.

What a sweet message about how you and your husband met.  I’ve been with Scott 13 years and just can’t believe it .  We met in a coffee shop (he he, how is that for bringing this comment full circle).

I’ve really been enjoying all the posts in the series.  I may not comment on all of them, but I’m certainly reading them.

Hugs,
    –Amber

P.S. We felt the same way when we registered Sky for kindergarten, Laura.  It was surreal!

5. Yum Laura!  This look s wonderful, I need to get an ice cream maker and fast!!

6. thefairypwincess says:

Mmmm! I love making ice cream with coconut milk but I’ve never tried adding coffee. Sounds great!

7. Real_Food_Freak says:

Laura, think I am going to have to try this.  I might even try it with caffeine free espresso instead of the flavoring.  Love coffee ice cream, but gave up the coffee several months ago.

8. janegunsul says:

This sounds so good!  I love the little bowl that the ice cream is in!

9. crazy4baskts says:

This sounds delicious!  Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week.  I can’t wait to see what you link up next week.  Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

10. GGirlGGreen says:

Nom Nom. I am addicted to everything coconut!

11. The Nerdy Farm Wife says:

What a romantic story of how you and your husband met! And, this ice cream looks amazing!

12. 16ballsinairlib says:

oh my goodness – how delish – i might add an egg yolk or two for added protein!
    Blessings!

13. Flour Me With Love says:

I’d love to have some of this on those hot days!  Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

14. AmeeBeckLivingston says:

Laura, this is such a great ice cream alternative and a wonderful addition to my vitamix recipes! :)  I am delighted that you shared this on Fit and Fabulous Fridays!  You have a wonderful page and definitely deserve to be in the Top 25 Foodie moms!! :)  I am pinning this to Pinterest now…..

15. Miz Helen says:

Congratulations! Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate! Come Back Soon, Miz Helen

16. whatscookinglove says:

This looks really good. I am lactose intolerant, so I love that this is dairy free. I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-your-talent-thursday-8.html. I hope to see you there!

17. Thank you for your submission on <a href=”http://www.nourishingtreasures.com”>Nourishing Treasures’</a> Make Your Own! Monday link-up. Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

18. Thank you so much Miz Helen. What an honor! Have a wonderful Holiday weekend.

19. chelesirois says:

Mine didn’t firm up well.  Any suggestions?  I halved the recipe and used agave.  It was a little too sweet, but overall taste was delicious!!  Thanks for posting!

•  @chelesirois Thanks for the comment and I am glad you enjoyed the recipe. I actually find agave to be a lot sweeter than coconut nectar. Also coconut milk helps to curb the sweetness in recipes so you might try adding in more coconut milk next time. It should also help the dessert firm up more. If it is still not the texture you are looking for, try placing the ice cream in the freezer for 15 minutes to finish firming up to your desired texture. Hope that helps!

20. Laura,

This sounds so delicious. I don’t drink coffee…but hands down, coffee flavored ice cream and milkshakes are my favorite!!! :-) I am going to make this for ME very soon. :-) This ice cream would also make a fabulous milkshake. Love it!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Vegan Coffee Ice Cream (which actually is sugar-free! yay, i can eat it!) from Laura’s Gluten-Free Pantry [...]

2. healthy foods to eat…

Coffee Ice Cream (Vegan, Caffeine, Dairy…

3. [...] Coffee Ice Cream (Caffeine, Dairy, Sugar-Free & Vegan!) [...]