I remember the first time I discovered gelato. I was on a road trip in college with my best friend and we were headed back to Boulder, CO from Moab, UT. We stopped in Glenwood Springs to hit up the hot springs after a camping and hiking weekend. My friend mentioned we should check out the Gelato store on the corner. I had no idea what gelato was. She said it was better than ice cream. How was that possible I thought?! And indeed it was!
Years later another friend mentioned how amazing pistachio gelato was. I was pretty skeptical. I loved traditional gelato flavors: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, raspberry, but hadn’t ventured into more exotic flavors at the time. So I gave it a go a few years back….and it was aaaammmaaazing!
My kids love pistachios. They truly go nuts for them! And since I wanted to make something green for St. Patty’s Day this weekend, I decided to see if I could recreate my now favorite gelato flavor at home.
As many of you know that follow my blog, I am crazy about homemade dairy-free ice cream. I love all different flavors. But this may be my absolute new favorite. It is insanely good.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day Friends!
- 2 cups shelled, roasted, salted pistachios
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ cup arrowroot (omit if you want a lighter ice cream texture)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. lime juice or 4 drops Lime essential oil
- Place shelled pistachios into a food processor and pulse for 3 minutes. Pour pistachios, coconut milk, arrowroot and lime into a blender or Vitamix container. Blend on high for 2 minutes, pausing to stir several times.
- Put Vitamix container in freezer for 30 minutes. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to instructions for 30 minutes.